Just like supporting the eradication of illiteracy or hunger, you don’t have to be directly affected by cancer to get behind a campaign. Being one of the fastest spreading diseases today, cancer needs to be stopped dead in its tracks. There are numerous ways you can help out like donating a sum of money regularly to a charity or actively participating in fund raising campaigns in your community.
However, if this is still a little too impersonal for you, you can start with your own group of friends. But then, how can you convince your 20 or 30 something friends to sit down and listen to you rattle off breast cancer statistics without boring them to death? You know that women in their 20s and 30s are mostly concerned with advancing their careers, starting a family or living their dreams and often put their health needs at the bottom of their priorities. There is a great need to let these women know that they can get breast cancer even if they go to spin class regularly or eat vegetables. The question is, how?
A day at the SPA is something that every woman looks forward to. It’s a time to de-stress, relax and spend some quality time with the girls. It is where women feel free to talk about their lives, their dreams and their woes. Hosting a Spa day for your fellow femme fetales can also be a perfect opportunity to talk about their health and what they can do to reduce their cancer risk. Here are a few tips:
- Educate yourself – There are numerous resources available online or your local community that you can use to educate yourself and your friends. Some even provide downloadable flyers, brochures and event planning tools to help you out Check out the American Cancer Society or Pink Ribbon. During your mani and pedi session, casually ask your friends, when they had their last mammogram and start from there.
- Set the date time and place in advance – inform your gal pals 2-3 weeks in advance to allow them time to pencil you in their schedules. You can host it at a local spa/salon or at your own home.
- Dress the part – Drop those stilettos ladies! Only comfy robes, lounge wear or old t-shirts are allowed. It’s important that you keep relaxed atmosphere.
- Dress the atmosphere, too – Speaking of atmosphere, it’s easy to turn your living room into a spa room. Loose computers, tablets or gadgets that might get them thinking about work. Better yet, ask them to leave their mobiles at the door. Another great idea is to light candles and settle everyone on your living room floor with plush cushions and comforters.
- Some activities you can do – manicure and pedicure, hair curling setting, face masks, foot spa or trying out new cosmetic products.
Incorporating breast cancer awareness into activities that women enjoy will help them associate it with positive things and hopefully, inspire them to get tested regularly and do everything that they can to reduce their risk.
Looking for Pink Ribbon Items? Visit Suddora and use the coupon code BCFG10 for 10% OFF your order! Including great items like: